FACT: Productive, innovative, competitive economies require smart and simple regulations to prosper.
UNFORTUNATELY, THE COMPLEXITY OF THE FEDERAL REGULATORY SYSTEM CREATES DISPROPORTIONAL COST BURDENS ON SMALL BUSINESSES:
- 99.7%: Percent of U.S. companies that are SMBs
- $11,700: Average yearly regulatory cost per employee for SMBs
- $40B: The regulatory costs of federal economically significant rules to SMBs per year
In the past 22 years, federal agencies have published more than 88,000 final rules, of which 15,458 have been identified by federal agencies as having a negative impact on small businesses. The costs to smaller businesses with 50 employees or fewer are nearly 20% higher than the average for all firms. Every $1 increase in per capita regulatory expenditures are directly correlated with decreases in the smallest firms (those employing between one and four persons) by 0.0156%, the burden of which quickly adds up.
In short, the federal regulatory process must be reformed to ensure that agencies implement the will of Congress and that the courts uphold the constitutional principle of separation of powers, so our country can get back to work without the undue, unchecked burden of overregulation. It’s time for entrepreneurs to join together to stop the regulatory choke hold on American small businesses.
Make your voice heard
Join Small Business Nation today and join the fight to change how major rules are created in this country. Small Business Nation is a project of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, founded specifically to help startups and small businesses succeed. We're dedicated to ensuring that regulations don’t impose an unnecessary burden on business owners or stifle economic growth and job creation. Our nationally recognized team of lobbyists and policy experts will fight for your interests every day on Capitol Hill, in the courts, before the White House, and in federal regulatory agencies.
It's free! Members also receive:
- The Startup Rundown, our email newsletter with updates on important economic, political, and regulatory issues
- Free resources including our 4 1/2 Minute Guides to Google Analytics, Digital Advertising, and Business Credit
- Access to our curated library of business tips and advice from some of the leading experts in the field
- Exclusive access to webinars from small business leaders